Choosing the ideal tiling solution for each room in your home can be a tough decision even for the most experienced of home builders, which is no wonder why you are having problems with it yourself. The main thing you need to understand is that a wide variety of tiles exist, but not all of them are good for your needs and requirements, which are the main factors that will affect your final choice.As a general rule, try to think about the following factors whenever you are in the market for tiles at national tiles Port Melbourne or whichever location is closest to you:
- Room Size – Larger rooms will be easily covered if you opt to use larger tiles, which will have the added advantage of needing fewer grout lines compared to smaller tiles. This can make your room look better, as well as allow easier cleaning (grout lines are notoriously more difficult to clean than the tiles themselves, especially when heavily stained). On the contrary, smaller rooms are easier to tile with small tiles, as there will be less cutting needed to fit the tiles in place, thus leading to a faster tile laying.
- Texture – Tile texture will directly affect the slipperiness of the tiled surface. Smooth tiles are much more comfortable to the touch, but the floor itself will become very slippery when wet, which is a big no-no for areas like the kitchen or bathroom. These rooms are often better off with having a tiled floor with a sense of roughness.
- Water Resistance – Speaking of areas where wetness is common, there are some tiles that are a naturally better fit for such surfaces. They include most types of porcelain tiles, which have above average water resistance, as well as almost all glass mosaic tiles, the latter of which are ideal for bathrooms with a sloping gradient. Porcelain tiles could be considered if, for example, you need to do something about your balcony waterproofing.
- Colour – Of course, visuals are a big aspect of choosing an excellent tiling solution. You want something that will match your wall colours and any of the decorations you are going to keep inside your rooms. Lighter tile colours are good at enhancing a room’s lighting, but they will also get dirty very quickly, which will require frequent cleaning. Contrary to popular belief, dark glossy tiles are even worse when it comes to this aspect: something to consider if you thought that the dark colour itself can hide the dirt without issues.
- Maintenance – Generally, most tiles require minimal maintenance work, and the only requirement to keeping them in good shape is to clean them properly every so often. Yet there are some types of flooring tiles (like those made with natural stone) that will require more attention. Be sure to get correct advice on things like properly sealing and maintaining them over time.